Machine & Tangible Asset is a mechanical / electronic / engineering / computer, etc. which facilitates manpower in creating value or carrying out work. Similarly, organisation acquires various assets other than land and buildings for its operations. Here, in this section, we are covering all the assets which aid manpower in delivering value to customer in the shape of finished products / services.
Organisation is surrounded with countless machines and assets. Starting from gate, attendance machines, vehicles, electrical fittings & gadgets, generators, furniture & fixtures, production machines, computers, calculators …. The list goes on ….
Mobile and computer are the best examples of changing the lives of entire organisation. Anywhere anytime access and internet providing information about anything have altered the traditional ways of working
The distinguishing factor between two organisations is not only manpower but quality of machines.
Features of Machines & Tangible Assets
- Designed for carrying out work as per design or fed instructions / programs / softwares
- Requires least maintenance when regularly maintained
- Have no feelings → can carry out same operations repeatedly for years without any complaints
- Never say “No” to a work
- Never ask for promotions, incentives, etc.
- Can manage extreme working conditions like working in high heat, deep sea, extreme cold, high computations, etc.
- Facilitates avoiding duplicity of work and efforts
Deliverables (i.e. expectations from Machines & Tangible Assets)
- Produce goods with least defects
- Generate least wastages
- Operates tirelessly without shut-down
- Best aid to manpower in carrying out the operations
Important developments in the Machines & Tangible Assets
- Sensors (motion, flow, temperature, access, smell, air, touch, speech, etc.) technology getting more advanced → machines becoming more intelligent → machines are detecting defects more efficiently
- Computing chips containing programs / instructions are getting smaller & smaller and carry more storage → facilitating development of smaller and intelligent machines
- Robots are becoming more intelligent and have started analysing fuzzy logics (i.e. deals with reasoning that is approximate rather than fixed and exact) → robots build its logics
- Facilitating automation of work and reducing the time drastically.
Challenges with Machines & Tangible Assets
- Machines require regular maintenance like cleaning, greasing, shining, anti-oxygen coatings, etc.
- Watch rust and dust → reduces the life of machines
- Inspect joints for whether they are intact and not loose → loose joint would fall apart in longer period
- 5S practices of cleaning to follow
- Well-maintained assets take less time of Maintenance Team in repairing the defects
- Regular updates on new technology and new machines all over the world, which can integrate with other machines seamlessly and manage more work
- China posing a big challenge to other countries by bringing out better machines facilitating automation
- Above brings redundancy in existing machines
- Environmental concerns
- Machines need to be energised with power / energy + need for more machines / mechanisation à more production of power / energy = more environmental concerns
- Mechanical processes leave lot of wastes with toxic elements → untreated disposal of wastes → environmental issues
- Skilled Manpower
- Better machine requires better skilled manpower to manage the machine
- Unskilled manpower mishandles the machine → wasting the power of machines
Process Implementation for better Machines & Tangible Assets
- We will discuss in detail under “Fixed Asset Management” in “Invisible Elements” section